Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Redneck Heaven

I love to watch fireworks, but Bennie doesn't like to go, so I usually don't get to see them because I hate going by myself. But yesterday Quentin agreed to go with me. So, I picked the closest place to go to watch them - Mountain Park. I had no idea what we were getting into. We parked half a mile away on the side of Mountain Park Road (just short of the ditch) and walked up just as it was getting dark. It was almost 9:00, and I was afraid we'd be late. Well, I had absolutely nothing to worry about. They didn't start until 9:55.

So Quentin and I got up to the school and got amongst the couple of thousand people there. All rednecks. Bigtime rednecks. I only saw one person I knew, a girl from church who pretended she didn't see me probably because she was wearing very inappropriate clothing. Which brings me to the next point. Maybe I don't get out enough, but I've never seen so much skin before. And the bigger the girls, the less clothing they wore. Why is that? Don't they have any pride?

So, me and Quentin went over to listen to the band. The worst I've ever heard. They tried to do rock but didn't have a clue. When they sang Pink Floyd this was the way they sang it, "All in all, you're just a brick in the wall". I wanted to scream "A - nother!" And they tried to do Elvis. It was pitiful. And then it started to rain. So Quentin and I go down to the field and get into the dugout - with about five redneck teenagers playing with firecrackers. That was a lot of fun.

Finally the rain stopped, so we got out and walked over to the fence, waiting for the show to start. It was now about 9:30. So we watched some little kids playing in this huge mud puddle. Then, around 9:45, it started raining again - hard this time. I wasn't about to go back into the dugout from hell so we went and got under a big tree. Right beside some smokers, who HAD to just blow their smoke right in my face. Why is that? I don't care if people smoke, but can't they just TURN THEIR HEAD when they blow the smoke back out? Is that too much to ask for? So, finally, the fireworks start. They were beautiful like I knew they would be. The only bad thing was listening to the blow by blow from the rednecks in our little group describing every one. I had just as soon watch them quietly. But anyway, all in all it was worth going for. And I really appreciate Quentin coming and going with me. It's always fun being with him.

No comments: