Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hitchcock's in the Neighborhood

Something strange just happened that I thought I would share. I was sitting here at my computer this morning, a little after 7:00, working on my transcription. Bennie was still asleep. So as I was working I started hearing these little murmurings, like soft voices or something. I would stop typing and listen, thinking maybe it was the TV and Bennie was up, but then it would be quiet again. I would go back to work, and again hear these little whisperings. Then, I realized it must be a mouse. So again I stopped work to listen, but it wasn't quite the mouse noises. And then all of a sudden the whisperings/murmurings got a little louder, and then got a little chirpier. And it was coming from outside. So I got up to look out the window and parted the blind - that's when I saw it. Our backyard was black with birds. I have never seen anything like that. Apparently we have a lot of bugs or something in our yard because they were all picking at the grass for something. I watched a while and gradually they would move over to our neighbor's yard, a few flying up at a time. So after a little while I went to our other window to see them next door, and I noticed across the road in the vacant cornfield was the motherload of black birds. And - contrary to popular cliches - they weren't all the same. There were black ones with brown heads, black ones all over, and speckled grayish ones. It was a sight! Now, back to work.

No comments: