Saturday, October 14, 2006

Life's A Beach

Bennie and I got back last night from a week at Virginia Beach. We had a great time. The first couple of days it was storming and raining off and on. But the ocean was beautiful! I had never seen it like that. We always stay right on the beach, and our room on the 5th floor had a big window that we could just sit and watch the ocean. The waves were huge, and there was white water everywhere. By Sunday things had calmed down, and the sun made its first appearance.

On Monday we were out about all day riding our bikes. There is a great boardwalk at Va Beach, 2 1/2 miles long, with a bike trail right next to it. And then there are bike trails all over town. Each day the ocean would get calmer and calmer. By Thursday, our last full day, it was so calm that the surfers were just sitting on their boards doing nothing. So we took a dolphin-watching tour. We had done this before and had always seen the dolphins, but never like this. There were dolphins EVERYWHERE! The boat would ride right into the middle of them and stop, and we would just watch them come up out of the water - like Flipper, and then we would move on another 100 yards or so, and there would be another school (herd?) of them. The announcer said there were approximately 50 at one place. Anyway, it was a lot of fun. And we ate. I gained three pounds. I had to try the she-crab soup every place we went. And Bennie usually got the key lime pie. I think every restaurant had those two items. And then at night Bennie and I would play Yahtzee. I think I won the most. And as far as TV went, Law and Order was on ALL THE TIME. What is up with that show? It was a good thing I was recording all my favorite shows at home.

Also one day we went over that stupid long bridge that I hate, but Bennie loves it, so I went. But I told him that was the last time I would ever do that. We took our bikes and actually found a park on the other side that we rode around some. And we saw a strange-looking snake crawling across the parking lot there. I had never seen one that looked like that. It had ugly gold-yellow and black markings, mostly the dark yellow. I stayed away from it, but Bennie had to circle it a time or two on his bike.

One day we went to a state park just up the beach called "First Landing". There was a biking/hiking trail that went 6 miles. So we got on that trail which was pretty neat, at first. It went through the woods, and then through a murky swamp, which was kind of scary, and then out around a back bay. There were mile markers telling us how far we had gone. I was getting kind of tired at about 4 1/2 and 5 miles, thinking that we were almost done. Well, instead of circling around, the trail just went somewhere and stopped. So we had to come back the 6 miles too. We were both dead by the time we got back. And sore the next day. But still I'm glad we did it. It was an ACCOMPLISHMENT.

It was sad to leave yesterday, but a week is about right, for me. I was ready to get back home, and get back to my SOFT bed. Why do all hotels have such hard beds?

Next year we're talking about going out west for a couple weeks for vacation. I dread the ride, but I'm looking forward to the sights. And of course visiting Josh, Megan, and sweet Isabella.

No comments: