Sunday, August 15, 2004

"You Can Do It! You Can Do It!"

This is a quote from Bela Karolyi. With the Olympics getting started, and gymnastics coming on tonight, I was thinking about him. I have watched the gymnastics portion of the Olympics for over thirty years. That is my favorite part. I remember watching Nadia getting her four perfect tens. I remember Mary Lou Retton winning the gold. That year the Russians were boycotting. I remember around 1972 or so there was this little Russian girl who won, the time before Nadia. Does anyone remember her name? I forgot. Anyway, Bela has always seemed to be there. He coached Nadia and Mary Lou, and was the team coach four years ago. Remember in 1996 when Keri Strugg(?) hurt her foot, and he picked her up in this huge bear hug and actually carried her to the stand for the team medal. He is always so much fun to watch. He yells at the girls constantly and is always very expressive. But this time his wife, Marta, is the coach. And we are supposed to have the best team ever. I saw the trials back in June, and the girls were really amazing. So, this will be a fun week to watch TV. I've got my VCR all ready.

No comments: