Sunday, February 13, 2005

What A Weekend!

I am resting today - which is good because this is a day of rest. I have had a hard weekend. It all started on Friday. Bennie and I needed a new television, as our old one has bit the dust. So we have been looking around now for a few weeks and getting ideas and prices. So Friday, we decided to go to Winston and just go ahead and buy one. We got to Winston about 11:00 a.m. and went first to Circuit City. We were walking around looking at all the TV's, when this one just blew me away. I should tell you that we were looking for a 32" flat screen TV for around $450-500. So we saw this Samsung 32", flat screen, but it was HD. I loved it, but it was too much. It was actually on sale for $750. And maybe I should explain, but everyone who reads this probably already knows, but HD and HD-ready are two different things. This is HD-ready. Which means that you have to buy something else for around $300, and then, since we are on Direct TV, we would have to pay $11 a month also. So, too much money. So Bennie and I started shopping around. We went to Sam's, Sears, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc., all the stores in Winston that sell TV's. But I couldn't get that one off my mind. Nothing else measured up. So, to make a long story short, we went back to Circuit City and bit the bullet and got that one.

So, now that we had a TV, we needed something to put it on - a stand or entertainment center of some kind because our old TV was a console and stood by itself. So, since we were at CC, we looked at theirs. There was only one that I liked, and they were out of it (of course). But, "the truck" was coming in tomorrow the guy said, and they would have more then. Well, we had planned to go to Boone, so we thought we would just look somewhere else and get one. So, we went back to all the places again and then some, looking for this. We found a really nice EC at Target, but they were out of them (of course), so we went to the other Target, same thing. So, after all was said and done, we went home, arriving around 9:00 p.m. And then, I couldn't help Bennie lift the TV - it was too heavy. So we got a neighbor to help and got it in.

So on Saturday I had the bright idea to look around Mt. Airy in the morning and save myself a trip back to Winston for the stand. So I took about two hours and went to all the places that sold these things - no luck. So it was back to Winston, where the stands had come in and they were holding one for us. And the guy - who was really sweet - knocked $30 off of it.

So now we have our TV and a stand if anyone wants to come and watch with us, because that is all we can afford to do now. (And a BIG THANKS to Quentin for coming up and helping Bennie set everything up!)

No comments: