Friday, January 11, 2008

Cormac McCarthy

I wrote a post a few weeks ago about the movie "No Country for Old Men". This is from a book by Cormac McCarthy, who I guess is pretty far down my list of favorite writers. So a few days ago I watched another movie, "All the Pretty Horses". I remembered when this came out several years ago that I wanted to see it but never did. It has Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz, and the trailer at the time looked like it would be a good love story. So, last week I noticed it was coming on TV and recorded it. When I got some time to watch it I was pretty excited and got settled down to see a good romance, with apparently some cowboys thrown in. And then, as the credits were rolling at the beginning of the movie, I saw where it was also based on a book by Cormac McCarthy. That is when I started feeling some dread coming on. And sure enough, it was another movie that I would not recommend to anyone. What is wrong with people when they feel like they have to have these bad endings to their stories? All I ask for in a movie or book is a happy ending and one that wraps everything up nicely. I'm done with Mr. McCarthy. He's up there with Erich Segal as far as I'm concerned.

6 comments:

Josh said...

for a great ending, nothing beats shawshank redemption.

for understanding why some movies can't have happy endings, i recommend a fantastic film called stranger than fiction.

"I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell Andy Dufresne ever got the best of him." -red

Rise said...

I think MOST movies have good endings, but there has been one movie that Bennie and I watched, and as soon as it was over we rewound the tape and had to watch it again right away. Can you guess?

Bennie said...

Our wedding videos?

Rise said...

If I knew how to, I would BAN you from this site!

It was the Sixth Sense.

Rise said...

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you meant our honeymoon.

Bennie said...

Where are those?