Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Better Than The Best

I just saw an article about people's favorite books. Of course the Bible was #1, so then they were talking about the #2. It had the usual - "Lord of the Rings" for men and "Gone With the Wind" for women, and then regionally they mentioned "The Stand" and "Angels and Demons". Now this is what I thought was interesting. I always thought that "Angels and Demons" was better than "The Da Vinci Code", but the DVC was #1 on the charts forever - maybe a couple of years, I don't know. It seems like when it came out it was always #1 week after week after week, and I NEVER remember A&D even being in the Top Ten.

As for my personal favorites - I would say both of those books by Dan Brown (I never could get into his other ones), all of the Chronicles of Narnia, LOTR, GWTW (the book is SO MUCH BETTER than the movie, which is really good), all the Calder series by Janet Daily, most of John Grisham (except for his latest ones - he has really gone to pot) especially "The Partner" and "Bleachers", which reminds me, "Beach Music" and "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy, Stephen King's earlier books (including "The Stand"), and my all time favorite - "Wild Bells to the Wild Sky" by Laurie McBain.

I'm looking forward to Dan Brown's new book, but from what I've read it is not going to be very kind to our church. At least it will be fiction, and maybe people can remember that - just like the DVC and the catholics.

2 comments:

Chris Harris said...

I like Angels and Demons better too. It has a much better ending. I don't much care for the Lord of the Rings books. I just don't like the way Tolken writes. Right now I'm really enjoying the ender series. I read Ender's Game a long time ago, but i'm just now reading the rest of them. They're pretty great.

Rise said...

Yeah, EG's and Speaker for the Dead. I forgot about those. I always thought that reading Ender's Game was like playing Nintendo.