Thursday, April 26, 2007

Standing O!

That is what everyone at the BYU commencement ceremony today gave Dick Cheney after he spoke. I watched most of the graduation on TV, forwarding it through the boring stuff. But I was really impressed at the warm welcome the VP received. After all the bad press I really didn't know what kind of reception he would get. President Hinckley walked in with several people, including Cheney, and everyone was clapping - but they were probably clapping for President Hinckley. Then the guy (President of BYU) was announcing everyone, and he announced President Hinckley - who got a big applause, but then he announced Dick Cheney, and HE ALSO GOT A BIG APPLAUSE! It was great, and Cheney seemed to be overcome with it. To my mind he looked like he was really trying not to cry. He was given an honorary degree for public service. And again, after he gave his remarks, he got a standing ovation. It was sweet, and I was really proud of the respect everyone showed him.

To change the subject, last night's AI was a great show. I especially liked Il Divo. They have the BEST voices, and talk about easy on the eyes. And Kelly Clarkson was great, but what blew me away was Celine Dion and Elvis's duet. I don't know how they did that, but it looked so real and sounded so good with the harmony. And then, Ryan kept saying throughout the show that everyone would be shocked at the results - who was leaving. So I was kind of afraid that either Melinda or Jordin might leave, because they were the frontrunners. So, as the show went on Ryan would go over the six finalists and pick someone and tell them that they were safe. He told this to Melinda, Blake, Lakisha, and Phil. So that left Chris and Jordin. So then at the end of the show he goes over to them again and asked those two to stand up. So I'm hoping against hope that Chris goes home, because I don't like him anyway. But then Ryan says, "Chris, you're safe." So there is Jordin, and you can just feel the shock through the whole audience. And poor Jordin. All this time all she has heard have been good things, so you know she thought she would be on a lot longer. And then Ryan says, "And Jordin, you are also safe." WHAT??? So that was the shocker - no one had to leave. Ryan made some comment to the effect that they couldn't throw someone off the show on "charity night", so next week two of them will leave. I still think that was mean though to Jordin. And did I mention that Il Divo sang?

No comments: